OPG ( Orthopantomogram ) – It gives a panoramic view of the teeth of the upper and the lower jaw, thereby revealing problems with the jawbone and the joints which connects the jawbone to the head. It may be requested to plan an orthodontic treatment, for assessment of wisdom tooth or for a general overview of the teeth and the bone which supports the teeth. Among others, a few more important usage of OPG are-
• Anatomy – of teeth in mandible and maxilla and adjacent structures.
• Dental diseases – caries, inflammation etc.
• Extraction – to determine tooth to be extracted.
• Teeth abnormalities – variations in number, size and shape.
• To identify trauma to teeth and facial skeleton.